In the modern era, the new-age groups of students are looking for interesting career choices that must satisfy their thirst for knowledge and develops creativity skills in their respective fields. Choosing a career is the toughest decision for a student’s life. One cannot randomly pick a career; it requires a lot of time and consideration to work on a particular career. After successfully passing the 10th standard, a child is introduced with a challenge of stream selection depending on their interest and skills. While talking about the medical stream, students are showing a great passion and interest in the subject. With endless career choices in the medical field, medical coding has now seemed to be a popular career among medical students that gives a wide exposure to learn about the subject in an elaborated manner.
Before jumping further, let’s see what medical coding is.
What is Medical Coding?
Medical coding is an integral part of health care industries that diagnosis the codes taken from the medical record documentation based on the classification systems that help to identify the medical diagnosis and other procedures. Some people overlap two different terms such as medical coding and medical billing that actually differentiates with each other. Medical coding is an important part of the medical billing process that helps in analyzing patient’s billing charts used by different health insurance companies for reimbursement purposes. To maintain accuracy in such a challenging task, medical coders are trained who simplifies the complicated coding process by using a special coding system.
What is the role of Medical Coders?
Medical coders are trained and educated for special coding tasks they study and collect all the necessary information about the patient’s injuries and documents provided by the doctor and healthcare company then the task is progressed by assigning certain alphabetical or numerical codes which are used for reimbursement and insurance purposes. The collected information helps in diagnosing a patient and the services received from the medical institution.
• They evaluate the codes written in patients Electronic health records
• To avoid any mistakes in the records they first interact with the patients on insurance matters
• Medical coders communicate with the billing department to make sure that the bills are authentic and are paid on time.
• They ensure that all the codes written are accurate and have a link with patients billing charts.
Medical coders use different types of codes that are mentioned below –
• ICD-10-CM ( International Classification of Diseases, 10th Edition, Clinically modified)
• CPT ( Current Procedure Terminology)
• ICD-10-PCS ( International Classification of Diseases, 10th Edition, Procedural Coding System)
• HCPCS Level II ( Health Care Procedural Coding System, Level II)
• CDT ( Code on Dental Procedures and Nomenclature)
• NDC ( National Drug Codes)
• MS-DRG and APC
• MS-DRG ( Medical Severity Diagnosis Related Groups)
• APC ( Ambulatory Payment Categories)
If you are a citizen of Dubai and looking for interesting careers in the medical field then join the medical coding courses in Dubai and turn your dream into reality.