When preparing for the IELTS exam in Dubai, you need to prepare for listening, reading, and writing tests as they are taken together on the same day. While the best way to ace the IELTS exam is to join IELTS Training in Dubai, you should also keep yourself updated with tips and information available online related to the preparation.
In this post, we will particularly focus on the IELTS listening test so that you can better prepare for it.
The IELTS Listening Test
The IELTS Listening Test is a half an hour test meant to check your English listening skills and includes four subsections. In the end, you will get 10 minutes to transfer your answers to the answer sheet. You need to read all the questions during the test, and then listen. You need to listen carefully because you will get only one chance to listen to the recordings. Try to jot down the answers to what you are listening because you will have less time to use your notes to answer the questions.
Here are some tips for you to better prepare for the IELTS Listening Test.
- Before you start, read the instructions and listen to the recordings you get carefully.
- Listen with concentration as you will get to listen to the recordings only one time.
- There is a 30-second break between each listening. Use this time to carefully read the questions.
- Get an idea of the context and try to figure out the type of information you need.
- You will get time to check at the end. So, while listening, just write what you hear attentively.
- Don’t stop listening even if you think you have the answer. Be attentive.
- Don’t panic if an answer is missed. Move on to the next question quickly without wasting any second.
What You Should Know about the IELTS Listening Test
- Remember that listening modules get complex as you proceed.
- Learn shorthand writings. It is critical to be quick and concise. Since you can listen to a recording only once, you won’t have time to record everything you hear. Thus, shorthand writing is the best way to make your notes. Practice it more often while you are undergoing IELTS training in Dubai.
- Learn to multitask. While taking this test, you will need reading, writing, and listening skills at the same time. And you are expected to do all these things with ease. While this is a great challenge for many, you can learn to read, listen, and write simultaneously with consistent practice.
- Even though it is a listening test, the final answers are written before submission. So, you must focus on grammar and spellings as well. You need to build your knowledge and skill in this area; otherwise, you will lose marks.
- English can be different sometimes, especially when two different words sound the same. So, use whatever method that works best for you and ensure that you know the right spellings. If you are having problems with particular words, you can use synonyms in place of them.
The best advice anyone could ever give you to make your English better is to think in English. When you start thinking in particular language, you will learn it quickly. Last but not least tip we would like to give you is to pay attention to everything that your trainers tell you during IELTS Training in Dubai. Sometimes, even information of small significance can save you from making big mistakes.